How does mold affect my health?
According to a health report published on mold June 9, 2006 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, numerous types of mold cause infections through respiratory exposure, skin contact or ingestion through food. Persons who are sensitive to allergies or immunosuppressed have an increased risk for infection. These studies are a collaboration of MD’s, PhD’s and the like whom work with The National Center for Environmental Health, The Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects and the Agency for Toxic Substances Disease Registry.
How do you measure exposure levels to mold?
There are no tools in place to measure exposure levels. Testing for mold is not part of routine building assessments and is not recommended when the money spent for testing is better used on remediation of the problem. Mold requires a controlled environment for proper testing so field samples cannot be meaningfully interpreted are expensive and will not change relevant decisions on remediation. If sampling is being considered a clear purpose should exist such as finding a source of moisture that’s not visible.
What is the proper way to detect and clean or remove mold?
Visual inspection will usually suffice to recognize mold. Mold needs moister to survive, if an area of the home has a moister issue the cause may be a leaky pipe, poor drainage around the house or a roof leak that has gone undetected. Find the cause of moister and repair those areas, dry them and look for evidence of mold, clean or remove as necessary.
Use a rag or sponge in a half and half solution of bleach and water to scrub the mold off the surface this will neutralize the mold, let dry then use an oil based primer or clear varathane/polyurethane to seal the area. If mold has grown through the wall that portion of the wall likely has a moister source that needs to be discovered and corrected to fix the problem thus drywall removal and replacement will be necessary.